FAQ: Equipment and Maintenance

Question 1: Public Act 231 changed Michigan law for motorcarriers, which vehicles are affected?

Answer: Commercial motor vehicles that do not require a CDL license and that stay wholly inside the boundaries of Michigan transporting 'intrastate' commodities.

There is no change for commercial motor vehicles over 10,000 lbs that cross state lines or transport interstate commodities.

There is no change for commercial motor vehicles that require the driver to have a CDL license to operate.

Question 2: What rules must non-CDL requiring commerical motor vehicles staying in Michigan comply with?

CMV's over 10,000 lbs must comply with Michigan laws and 3 parts of DOT regulations; 49 CFR 391, 392 and 393. These regulations are online at: www.fmcsa.dot.gov

Michigan laws include: Lettering the truck to identify the carrier, crossing scales, speed laws, following distance etc.

The DOT rules include medical certification, parking and driving rules, equipment standards and cargo securement requirements.


Question 3: Which types of commercial motor vehicles are subject to the cargo securement standards of this subpart, and what general requirements apply (FMCSR's 393.100)?

Guidance: (a) Applicability. These rules apply to any commercial vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or a gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more.
(b) Prevention against loss of load. Each commercial motor vehicle must, when transporting cargo on public roads, be loaded and equipped, and the cargo secured, in accordance with this subpart to prevent the cargo from leaking, spilling, blowing or falling from the motor vehicle.
(c) Prevention against shifting of load. Cargo must be contained, immobilized or secured in accordance with this subpart to prevent shifting upon or within the vehicle to such an extent that the vehicle's stability or maneuverability is adversely affected.

Question 4: Which vehicles are required to have automatic slack adjusters and brake adjustment indicators?

Guidance: Commercial motor vehicles manufactured after October 20, 1994 and equipped with air brakes are required to have automatic brake (slack) adjusters and brake adjustment indicators (push rod). If you have had slack adjusters or brake chambers replaced, you want to make sure that the equipment meets the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. See Part 393.53 for more information.


Question 5: Is reflective tape required on straight trucks?

Guidance: No. the requirements to retrofit CMV's with reflective tape (FMCSR 393.13) is only for tractors, trailers and semi trailers which have an overall width of 80 inches or more and a gross vehicle weight rating of 10.001 lbs or more.


Question 6: May a CMV (commercial motor vehicle) transporting HM use retreaded tires?

Yes. The only CMV that may not use retreaded tires is a bus, and then the retread restriction applies solely to the tires on the steer axle.


Question 75: Do retractable or lift axles have to be equipped with brakes?

Guidance: Yes, when the wheels are in contact with the roadway.

Question 8: Where on a commercial motor vehicle is the annual inspection sticker to be displayed?

Guidance: There is no requirement for a sticker to be displayed. The motor carrier must only carry proof of the inspection on the vehicle. Proof may be in the form of a copy of the inspection report, a document the motor carrier creates with all the requirement information, or a sticker/decal. If a motor carrier chooses to use a sticker, it can be placed anywhere on the vehicle.

Question 9: What is Michigan's law regarding hauling logs and other tubular products?

Guidance: Public Act 131 of 2008 amends the Michigan Vehicle Code to delete the provisions for securing logs or tubular products being transported on a highway. This Act deletes all of the provisions previously in state law and requires motor carriers transporting logs to comply with Federal cargo securement standards found in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations Parts 393.100-136.